Thursday, March 3, 2016

You Can't Go Wrong!

The exception.
I love reading. However, I am reluctant to write a "review" about a book. The internet is crowded with book reviews, many that I find boring. Recently I finished a book that left me with lingering thoughts about its subject, so today is the exception.

Some books can be read anywhere: bus, cafeteria, airport, laundromat, etc. Given a choice, I would rather read at home, in a quiet house, comfortably relaxing in my favorite chair, maybe a glass of wine at my side. Truth be told, some books demand a quiet environment.
Last week I finished one such book, John Steinbecks, East of Eden. I chose to read East of Eden because it's a classic, and requires a higher level of focus. Sometimes that is what I want from a book. It did not disappoint. Additionally, it's soon to be a movie. I want to have the novel read before I see the movie. All the stars aligned.

I jotted down brief character descriptions as each was introduced, so when I inevitably reached a critical juncture, I wouldn't be flipping back through pages asking myself "who was that again?" (Maybe I should save the wine for my next book.) In my defense, East of Eden spans seven decades, three generations and contains numerous characters. Once finished, I resolved that my next book would be a quick and easy read. My brain needed a break. The "quick and easy read" book is the one that left me with those lingering thoughts. It is the book I really want to get at. 

Recently I bookmarked a link to BuzzFeed Books: 53 Books You Won't Be Able to Put Down. After East of Eden, it was this list I was perusing when I found "The Curious Incident of the DOG in the NIGHT-TIME" by Mark Haddon. A fictional, best-selling, 393 page, two day, easy-breezy wonderful read. It's been around since 2003 and has been made into a Broadway play.
 
If you are curious, or have ever wondered about autism, or specifically, what it might be like inside the head of a child with autism, read this book - you can't go wrong.


Caveat: I am no expert. This is only one book with one perspective of one child with autism. Autism is a complex disorder and is not fully understood. It would be wrong to believe this book "captures it all."

The book does brilliantly capture the struggles of Christopher (the narrator and child with autism) and his estranged parents. There were moments when I felt anger and dislike towards all three of them. I thought the parents were particularly horrible at times. But I understood their overwhelming frustration and despair, and the reality of dealing with and accepting Christopher's disability: "This is how it is - we have no choice"
 
Christopher plans his day.
I couldn't help but cheer for Christopher. Conversely, I also wondered "what the hell is he doing?" Regardless, I very much wanted Christopher to succeed and resolve his problems. I marveled at his intellect. With Christopher as the narrator, I felt I had a first-hand view of his thought processes. I liked the authors use of illustrations to facilitate understanding. Once I knew what he was thinking, his actions made sense, even though his behavior remained unacceptable. What a conundrum. That is what left me with lingering thoughts. 

So what did I learn from this book? A need for empathy, increased awareness and understanding. Perhaps the next time I'm in a store and see a helpless parent standing next to a screaming, out-of control kid, I hope I have sufficient bravery to approach and ask, "Is there anything I can do?" I might get angrily shooed away and feel embarrassed. I might not be able to do a damn thing. However, maybe such a small gesture, is all that mom or dad needs in that moment.

Footnote:
The book is a work of fiction. The author is not comfortable with the label "Autism or Asperger Syndrome" when people describe his book, as he admits, he is not an expert in those areas. Further, he has stated "Curious Incident is not a book about Asperger's...if anything it's a novel about difference, about being an outsider, about seeing the world in a surprising and revealing way."  

FYI, film rights to the book were bought by Brad Pitt. 
Read it before the movie comes out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment