Friday, March 25, 2016

Leftovers Anyone?

I seldom leave a restaurant without leftovers. The white styrofoam leftover containers are a welcome sight the following day when looking for a quick bite to eat. As much as I love leftovers, I know the white styrofoam container is an environmental nightmare. Unless thoroughly washed (who does that?) and recycled, these containers end up in a landfill - some websites estimate for up to 500 years. Neither are cheery thoughts - washing the containers or sending them to the landfills.


Often, upon returning home, I immediately move my leftovers to a glass container. Some people think nothing of heating their food in the leftover styrofoam container (ahem, Kevin). I hope it's safe to do so, but for peace of mind, I always transfer my food to a glass plate. Does the combination of heat and styrofoam taint the foods flavor? Maybe. I simply don't like the idea of styrofoam containers.

I've thought about bringing my own container to a restaurant. I'm not kidding. Does that sound over-the-top? Maybe, but is it much different than bringing your own bags to the grocery store? Some states have banned plastic bags: You can bring your own or purchase their reusable bags. The trend to reduce waste is a worthy goal; eliminating the use of styrofoam leftover containers would be a big step. The mass quantities of styrofoam being dumped into landfills must be staggering. 

Why doesn't the restaurant industry develop an eco-friendly system to eliminate the use of styrofoam containers? Throw-away leftover containers cost restaurants money - stealing from their bottom line. Is it possible to instead use that money to invest in re-usable containers? Collapsible (space saving) silicone containers would be an excellent replacement. They have more up-front costs. But maybe such a change could add to the restaurants bottom line.

Here is my proposal. (Big business guru that I am.) A restaurant would invest in reusable containers. Promote the idea like crazy. (Offer at no cost to the customer for a limited time.) 
Collapsible containers.
When the check is presented, the customer would be given the option to purchase a reusable container (assuming there are leftovers). If purchased the customer would receive a discount on the meal. All subsequent meals could then be discounted if the reusable container is used.

Obviously, this is an over-simplified solution to a post-meal random thought. I don't know if my idea is economically viable for restaurants, or if anyone would buy into it. I'm no business wiz, but couldn't a large corporate restaurant chain (Olive Garden, Applebees, Red Lobster, etc.) team up with a large container manufacturer (Dart Container Corp.). Together they could crunch some numbers and figure it out. Both companies could take it on as a cause, helping the environment while simultaneously enhancing their public image.


Until an eco-friendly and cost-effective solution comes along, (which I've no doubt it will someday) white, styrofoam leftover containers will bloat our landfills and dirty our earth. Why wait any longer?



No comments:

Post a Comment