Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Where Did the Last 365 Days Go?


It was one year ago to this post, (Sunday) that I retired from Nahan Printing. It is hard to believe that an entire year has gone by...flown by actually. I now understand the sentiment retired people often express about being busier than before they retired. I am fortunate to have multiple hobbies and interests that keep me busy and satisfied. And there is always that closet, drawer or garage that needs tidying. 

My Welcome Binder - Jan.17, 2000
I worked with great people and have many fond memories of my 15 years at Nahan. However, I'd be lying if I said I miss going to work every day. What I do miss are the simple, daily interactions that one enjoys with friends and co-workers. It was always nice to get regular updates about peoples' families and children. I also miss Monday morning greetings and hearing about peoples' weekends and vacations. I used to love seeing co-workers become new moms. While on maternity leave, they would bring their new babies to Nahan for everyone to ooh and ah over. There was something uniquely special about baby visits that compelled even the busiest workers to stop for a moment and take a peek.

Since retirement, I've enjoyed lunches and happy hours with former co-workers. Talking and laughing with them I am reminded of the com
radery we once shared. I wistfully realize that not working alongside each other anymore, in the trenches, our once shared comradery has faded. 
The flip side is that I don't miss waking up to a 7:15 alarm every morning. I definitely don't miss the daily trudge to the closet wondering what to wear each day, trying to recall if I'd worn this shirt or those pants last week - or the day before. (Wouldn't want to wear the same clothes within two weeks of each other.) Nor do I miss the nightly chore of packing a lunch; or the long, tundra-like walk from parking lot to building (and back) in sub-zero weather. 
My last day. Do I look happy?
 
All these are normal reactions - nothing that gives me pause to regret my choice to retire. There is much to appreciate about retirement. One routine I savor most - every single day - is sipping that first cup of hot coffee and reading the morning newspaper in my comfy lounge clothes. Silly, huh? 

Retired or otherwise, happiness, satisfaction and contentment (for me) always seems to go back to that oft used and simple statement: "It's the little things." Occasionally, after an especially fun weekend, Sunday night rolls around and those old, but familiar "Sunday Night Blues" resurface. I stop and remind myself to relax and smile: I'm retired. For that, I am so very grateful.

I am looking forward to publishing Fridays' post. I've been tinkering with "cement" the last few months and just finished a project I am excited to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment