Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The Possibilities Are Endless. Part 2

Searching the internet for suitable fairy/gnome home material, I stumbled across the product ShapeCrete. Not carried in-stock at Home Depot, I placed an on-line order through their store. Days later it was delivered for pick up - no shipping costs. I was eager to learn about my discovery.  
Humble Beginnings.
Fairy/Gnome Form

My initial excitement however was tempered when I busted the first "gnome home" form out of its container. There was nothing exciting about the hunk of concrete in front of me. I'd been here before: the beginning of a new project. I was familiar with the twinge of anxiety I felt: "Can any good come of this?" I wondered. (See blog post: Fear Gets You Nowhere.) Determined to answer "YES", I rolled up my sleeves. 
Can any good come of this?
Seeing is believing...more pictures, less words.  
Click on pics to enlarge. 
The base was not level - that'd need fixing.
Tracing the door (and windows) for Sculpey molds.
  













Shaping Sculpey to match the traced pattern.
To the oven.
Molding and cutting Sculpey to an exact fit was challenging. I hoped aluminum foil would stabilize the door and window molds, as they needed to stay curved to fit flush on the house. I am not sure if the molds were jostled in the transfer, but they baked flatter then intended. Another issue to tend to later.
Post baking construction trouble
                                                                                   
Little by little. Detail after detail.
Great...the door and one window box cracked after baking


Curtains look nice though.





PVC chimney and...
...pine Cone "shingles"
Greenery added.








Thanks to Sculpey base is now level.
Detail painting to give the Gnome Home...
...a sturdy "brick" foundation.

















Welcome!
Doubts cast aside...nineteen pictures and 2-1/2 months later, my humble hunk of concrete took on a new life: 
Humble Beginnings.
Metamorphosis Complete























                           360 Degrees.


                     Welcome to their world.


Staging - the fun part.





















No comments:

Post a Comment