Monday, January 25, 2016

Fear Gets You Nowhere


I don't like the beginning of new projects. Yes, I am excited to begin something new, but my fear of the unknown (failure really) causes me anxiety. I look at what's before me and think "how can these raw materials possibly transform into something decent, something I am proud of?


Before: Garbage Bin bound, scratched up Bowling Balls
After: Cheerful Garden Friends



Before: 9x9" of rough edged, slivery wood.
After: Treasured memory!

Even with some successes under my belt, I always feel that little niggle of doubt. I've learned to deal with it. Part of it is accepting that I am going to have some flops, maybe many before I get it right (or simply better).


While I'd rather learn on my own, I get it, sometimes I will need professional help (with my projects, not the other kind - haha!). I can admit that.

Like learning to mosaic tile, I just could not seem to get the grouting figured out. This is just one of a couple of fails. Thank you to Beatrice of Michaels Stained Glass Studio for her talent, patience and sense of humor. I was her only student and we had considerable fun together.
Flop -  Professional help needed!

Much better!

Then there was the photo transfer project. After numerous flops, I finally bit the bullet and enrolled in a class. Got that one figured out too. Thanks Crafts Direct.
Flop - This isn't working!
But this is!
Not surprisingly, I had a great time at both. It was relaxing and enjoyable to have experts guide me through the processes. Success alone or with a little help. Is there really such a thing as failure?


2 comments:

  1. Samuel Becket once said:
    Ever tried . Ever failed.
    NO MATTER.
    Try again. Fail again.
    FAIL BETTER

    ReplyDelete