Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Art of an F-Bomb

There was not a lot swearing around our house when I grew up nor when I raised my own children. But I'd be lying if I said I never swore or that I don't enjoy it to some extent. I do. It's a way of coping when situations feel like, "damn it, I didn't deserve that." Some of my favorites: Golfing (need I say more) or dropping the hammer when your on a ladder, or smacking your foot into the corner bed post. I do it and I like it (swearing, not the bed post thing-Eric:)), even though it does absolutely no good to help a situation: My putt still isn't going to go in, that red wine is still going leave a stain and that's still going to be an ugly bruise in 2 days.  Argh!

I don't know if the F-word is the big daddy of swear words but it's close. It's an ugly word, sounding and appearance-wise. If you've ever played any word games, U's and C's are two of the least desired. But still, I admit, I drop an F-bomb once in a while. Some of my nearest and dearest friends do too. I like them the more for it. In fact, when I first meet someone, if they happen to drop an F-bomb here or there, I know we are going to get along just fine. Now, that's not to say that you HAVE to drop F-bombs, it's just that if someone does, I'm ok with it.

So maybe that's why when I saw this picture in a magazine
I smiled and thought: I gotta not only get me one of those, but I gotta make many more and share the joy! But not at $45 each - not when we're talking bulk quantities. It wasn't hard to figure out. A short (and inexpensive) supply list and quick run to Crafts Direct made it happen. 
It was the easiest and funniest craft project I've done so far. The finished product was met with such enthusiasm and humor that I ended up making several batches.


I think the reason the F-bombs are so well liked is because 1. They are a clever visual of a taboo word.
2. They take the edge off a harsh and mostly negative word. 3. It's an opportunity for those who would otherwise never utter that word - to still have a little fun with it. 4. And most important: They give humor and perspective to some of the daily frustrations we all deal with, and that in the scheme of things are really unimportant. 


They were definitely conversation pieces and it was fun to share a laugh with all the people who enjoyed them.  I still have a few around the house and display them like treasured artifacts. I have every intention of making more, later. Until then, the F-bombs will have to wait.   

No comments:

Post a Comment