Saturday, January 30, 2016

Guilty Pleasures


Thursday night we attended the Fabulous Armadillos (FA) second (in a series of four) concert. These shows are so fun! 

The theme was:
Guilty Pleasures - Songs You Hate to Admit You Love.

Most people who live in the St. Cloud area have heard of the Fabulous Armadillos. They have a large following and there are many reasons why they are so well liked. They are talented. The lead singer - he's humble and lovable.  He is visually disabled and sings using braille sheet music. He's got a wonderful sense of humor and even teases himself about his disability. They have a unique comradery that is clearly genuine as shown by their rapport and easy banter. They simply love what they do. I think it is especially nice that after the shows they hustle to the hallway to greet and visit with the exiting fans.

Even though recording is allowed during their shows, I normally don't.  BUT, since we sat on the end, next to the wall, and SINCE the ladies (and others) behind us taped many songs, and SINCE I knew I wanted to include some in my post....I did it anyway. I tried to keep them short. I was pleasantly surprised, they actually recorded well.

The selections are random. This one reminded me of my parents. They were Tom Jones fans back in the day.
 
I admit, I was not initially excited about this show. The theme suggested there might be some one-hit wonders (which there were) and numerous cheesy "roll your eyes" songs--which there were.
Regardless, the shows are always entertaining. Given this particular theme I expected some tomfoolery together with great singing. This was one of the male singers dressed as a woman and it was hilarious.
Part of the appeal of FA  themed shows is you never know what to expect--but you also know they never disappoint!

So, yes, we all have songs that we "hate to admit we love" (David Cassidy - "I think I love you") but there are also plenty of songs I "can easily admit I hate". Hate is a  strong word. Lets just say strongly dislike. They sang these doozies also (Barry Manilow ugh! Sorry to any Barry Manilow lovers.) I could only endure recording 14 seconds of Barry the man, man, Manilow. :)
So, when it comes right down to it...if a live band is good enough, any well played "guilty pleasure" song is enjoyable.

This last one is for my good friend Kim - remember Phil? How was he ever my favorite back then?
Finally, here are four more snippets from the show. Good times!






No comments:

Post a Comment