Tuesday, May 10, 2016

If Only It Could Be That Easy

Actual picture taken 2014 but similar to 2013 view when began - "Help me."
I am not an expert gardener. Far from being one. That's okay. I don't WANT to be an expert gardener. I just want to keep it simple: plant, water, grow, and enjoy. If only it could be that easy. For two and-a-half years I've been attempting to beautify a small, scrubby patch of yard at the front of our lot that seems to beckon "help me." 

Except for a few spring flowers and the gnome/fairy house sitting at the base of a tree, I am not sure how "beautiful" the scrubby patch has evolved. But I try.
Current view - Spring 2016
 
Click on pictures to enlarge.
Current view with Fairy/Gnome house - Spring 2016
 
Challenge #1: The ground is clay. Despite dumping and tilling 28 bags of organic soil into the small space, the soil remains inhospitable: Hard and crusty when dry. Stinky, gooey and clumpy when wet.

Challenge #2: The area is not level, right-to-left or front-to-back. The rear border abuts woods with a severe drop off. Erosion? Most assuredly.

Challenge #3: Robins, squirrels, and bunnies happily munch the plant leaves, tromping about, unaware of the damage they cause. 

Challenge #4: Undergrowth along the rear border is buckthorn, a non-native (illegal to sell or transport) invasive species. Every spring buckthorn creeps into the garden. Seeds, mostly spread by visiting (pooping) birds, result in new growth and endless weeding. 

Challenge #5: The ground is filled with roots and rocks. Some roots are from the nearby trees, but many are long stringy "buckthorn" roots - their underground network is startling. Digging a recent hole, I hit a rock. Not knowing its size, but determined to remove it, I later extracted a massive, cantaloupe-sized rock.  

Naive of the challenges this small patch of yard presented, I initiated a beautification project in the fall of 2013. I decided to spruce up the area by planting a variety of spring bulbs. It was worth the labor. The tulips, daffodils and muscari that sprouted the next spring were a welcome sight.
First sprouting a welcome sight. Spring 2014
The following spring, April, 2015, while eagerly anticipating the first tips of green to sprout, I noticed they were barely visible due to the vast amount of dead leaves accumulated over winter. More work was needed. Enlisting Kevin's help, the wannabe garden was tilled and 28 bags of organic dirt (See Challenge #1) were added to the native soil. 
Before: Barely visible sprouts - Spring 2015
Cleared and ready for new life - Spring 2015

Feeling optimistic, I purchased, carefully arranged and planted twenty-one perennial plants. The fairy/gnome house was installed later, occupying the high ground at the east end of the garden. The revitalized space looked terrific: Rich black dirt, fresh green plants and weed-free. The (eventual) happy, merry gnome home completed the picture. The former "scrubby patch of lawn" was now a cheery and pleasant sight. Fingers crossed, I hoped my garden would survive and thrive. 
After: Planting complete - Spring 2015



Spring 2015 -Fairy/Gnome home site prepped-upper right.
Summer sped by. I monitored the garden daily. As expected, the weeds flourished - but not my flowers. A small fraction of them bloomed. Although they didn't die, most plants remained stagnant throughout the summer. Three were eventually gnawed (by varmints) to the roots. Within weeks, another two slowly wilted and died.

Initially disappointed, I didn't regret my endeavors. I knew spring would arrive again - perhaps acclimated to the dirt and surroundings, the plants would fare better next summer. 

As expected, this spring season brought green tips and sprouting plants. Some already ankle high. Dare I hope for a thriving garden this summer? Absolutely. I hope and remind myself to be patient -  gardens evolve.

If the garden disappoints, I always have my fairy/gnome home. An extensive expansion and renovation is under-way. I am excited about the changes. See below pictures for a sneak peek. 
Fairy/Gnome garden never disappoints.








Expansion underway.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your perseverence and hard work. HOPE prevails! Never give up hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lana! Thank you. It does seem to be doing better so far this spring. Fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete