Friday, May 20, 2016

My Dirty Little Secret

Over 3,700 pages of words - "Shorter"?
One of the first gifts Kevin (my husband) gave me was a 2-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary. After discovering I had an acute interest in semantics (the study of the meaning of words) he gifted me with the massive 2-volume set. To the casual observer the books were a seemingly "unromantic" gift, I however was ecstatic. My dirty little secret was out: NERD ALERT - I love words. And finally, someone understood. Reading, spelling, defining - so many words, so little time. 
 
Part of the credit (or blame) can be attributed to a random elective class I completed in high school: Semantics. It was my favorite class my Junior year. Mr. Lieser, our "hotshot" semantics teacher, frequently challenged the class to stump him on word definitions. Dictionary in hand, we were invited to pick ANY word and test his word knowledge. The class tried repeatedly but no matter how obsolete or archaic a word, he knew its meaning. Impressive. His self-assuredness (cocky) was well-earned.
This semantics class reinforced my lifelong passion to know and learn words. Reading, spelling and defining words are excellent skills to possess. But there is one more equally important (and often neglected) skill required for complete word mastery: pronunciation.  It is easy to neglect the art of pronunciation. Reading after-all doesn't require words to be spoken. Pronunciation is my Achilles heel. I can read words. I can spell words. I can define words. I know context, but pronounce them? Um, not so great. If there is a disability for incorrect word pronunciation, I have it. The unfortunate truth is that it doesn't matter how well you know words, when said incorrectly, you look (and feel) like a doofus. My mispronunciation of some words has proven embarrassing more then once. But it's also provided for some serious belly laughs - and almost a car accident.

How is this not interesting?
Years before we were married, Kevin and I were on our way home from a dinner date. We were discussing a distinction someone was being awarded. The recipient had been deceased for years. The distinction was being awarded posthumously, "Occurring, awarded, or appearing after the death of the originator." Unaware of the correct pronunciation of the word "posthumously" I said the word as follows:  "post" + "humus-lee". Kevin spontaneously burst into laughter. Mouth wide open (I remember it well) he laughed and laughed and almost drove off the road. It is not nice to laugh at people - especially your girlfriend, but his genuine and hysterical reaction caused me to appreciate the moment...eventually. His laugh was one of affection for my quirkiness.

 



As I continue to mispronounce (and subsequently correct) words, Kevin assures me that he finds my "disability" endearing. Whenever the "posthumous" car moment is recalled (and I express embarrassment) he reminds me that "I had him at posthumously". Okay, that's better.
 
Excellent study sheet.


The English language contains a multitude of delightful and amusing words. Pronounced correct or not, it is sad that many words are never uttered. They never have a chance to dance in the ears of others. Here are some of my favorites:

Imbroglio: An altercation or complicated situation.

Opulent:
Lush, luxuriant.

Serendipity:
Finding something nice while looking for something else. 

Obsequious: Excessively compliant or submissive.





Truculent: Ready to fight, cruel.
 

Verve: Energy and enthusiasm in the expression of idea.

1 comment:

  1. Go to YouTube and search 'History of the English Lanugage in 10 Minutes'.... One of my favorites! Also, any of Gina Cooke's videos (onion), etc. I think you will like them.

    I, too, share your interest in words. In fact, there are four of us that eat lunch together daily that spend wwwwwwaaaaayyyyyy too much time discussing words, both meaning and pronounciations. People who try to join us think we are crazy.

    Another passion of mine is children's books. I have just ordered a couple of books that combine the two.... 'The Word Snoop,' and 'The Journey of English.' May be worth checking them out from your library or Kindle.

    I enjoy the blogs!

    ReplyDelete