Friday, February 26, 2016

1972 - Sorry Mr. Westerhaus!

It never fails. Every time I am poking around in my old (and unorganized) photos, I come across "the picture." I'm starting to wonder, is it trying to tell me something? Possibly. I'll admit, every time I see "the picture" I silently hope that someday, I might run into the teacher I had that year, Mr. Westerhaus. 
Yeah, that's me - lower left corner.
If that day should ever come, I would first thank him for being an excellent (and patient) teacher, which he was. I would make some small talk and tell him that I grew up to be a happy and mostly normal person. I would thank him again. Then...I would apologize for all the headaches I'm sure I must've caused him that year.
  
I will relay one such incident, which in the context of today's classroom, is actually pretty mild.  


The Bees Knees.
A Hip mom or what?
Things were changing in 1972. It had only been the year before, thanks to the pushing of the "hipper" parents, (my mom being one of them - yea mom.) that girls were finally allowed to wear pants to school. This small town Catholic school, was no match for the newest, hippest trend of the 70's:  The Pant Suit. The men's version was known as a leisure suit.
Leisure Suit - I so remember Dad wearing these.

The early 70's also marked the beginning of the end for nuns being the primary teachers in the Lab school. One-by-one they were eventually all replaced by lay people. Mr. Westerhaus was one of the first. 

I was ten years old when my 6th grade school year began. Our second story classroom sat on the south-east corner of the school. The only windows in our classroom faced east, towards the church. (Before being retro-fitted to save energy, the windows were the size of the white square.) One cold, especially blue and clear winter morning, before classes started, Mr. Westerhaus instructed us to stand near the windows We were told to be silent and  reflective and watch the sun rise over the church. He indicated he was going to start some music, (to further enhance the experience, I'm assuming.)
The Lab School - uppermost left window-my classroom.



















Already a smidge irreverent at 11 years old, "reflective, silent and watch the sun come up" seemed tiringly adult-ish, cheesy and boring. The music, Cat Stevens, "Morning has Broken" started, (the first three words of the song being the same.)  I don't know why, but something about that song...I could not keep a straight face. Distracting everyone I rolled my eyes, mock prayed, fake sang along, contorted my face, and laughed. Basically I made fun of (disrespected) him and what he was hoping (I'm guessing) to accomplish: experience the serenity of Gods presence in the wonder and beauty of the rising sun

I get it now, but obviously didn't then. What a brat. His "moment" was ruined. I was sent to the principals office (where I had a reserved chair...sigh) and duly reprimanded, which I deserved. (By the way, "Morning has Broken" was a chart topper that year and is actually a really good tune.)  
   
I don't know why I remember that story. I don't even know if it's a good story. But every time I come across that picture, that's what I think of. I also know that if I ever happen to see my teacher, Mr. Westerhaus, (now, 44 years later), I would tell him (awkwardly) I am sorry for ruining his "moment". It's never too late. Hopefully, we would both have a laugh over it. Last I heard, he was alive and still in the area...you just never know.

The St. Joseph Lab School Class of 1973:

What a fine group of 1973 kids...even the mischievous red-head.

No comments:

Post a Comment