Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Do You Believe?

Ever since I saw a fairy garden on display at a locaI greenhouse a few years ago, I was completely enamored. I've created many over the last couple years in whatever I can find: jars, leaky bird-baths, vases, flower pots, etc.
Fairy house under construction.


I usually tear them down once the seasons change. But wanting something more permanent, last summer I built a gnome house made of twigs and attached it permanently to a tree that sits near the road.  (As shown in slide show).

Think that's crazy? Well I'm not alone. A search of Fairy Gardens on Google or Pinterest will yield oodles of sites, clubs, stores and even contests of  a whole culture of people who have the same fascination.
 

Last fall, when my sister called to say she had some unused, unwanted, dumpster-bound bird houses and wondered if I was interested, sight unseen, I was quick to say "yes". When you're a crafter, you don't say no to much: there is potential in even the humblest forms of crap! 
Crap...
...or Fairy Garden accessory.
Don't throw those bottle tops away!





When I got them, I wasn't surprised to see they were kits: cheap, cookie-cutter style, "Made in China" Christmas-themed, wood birdhouse kits. And I couldn't have been happier! Oh the possibilities!! I knew my first project was definitely NOT going to be a cookie-cutter Christmas bird house. In more ways then just crafting, I've never been one to color between the lines!!

I tossed out the instructions. When it comes to fairies or gnomes...I don't want or need instructions. There truly is no right or wrong. Fairy/gnome worlds evolve, taking on unique personalities and almost magically, come alive before your very eyes. 
Plain Jane
Door and steps needed...
...and of course a deck!



















Posts and prep for paint.









Color! (which later changed)














Now that's curb appeal!


















What about the door?
Looking Good!
 


















With spring on the horizon, it was with much satisfaction that I put the final touches on my "cookie-cutter" gnome house.  



A little Greenery!

















Cookie Cutter - Before
Transformation - After!!!


Eventually it will go outside, near the other gnome house, where I will surround both with flowers, plants, paths, lighting, bridges, fairies and gnomes. I can't wait!!!!

Still think this is crazy? Last year, during the warmer months, I occasionally heard voices outside. It was with a happy, smiling heart that I saw the neighborhood children (and even some adults) hunched over the fairy-scape, pointing, eyes wide, wondering..."how did this get here?" I hope that, if only for a moment, they were able to forget their troubles and believe in those welcoming, cheerful gnomes and fairies and their enchanting tiny world. I know I do!






No comments:

Post a Comment