Thursday, February 18, 2016

New Orleans - Beyond Mardi Gras

It is easy to be over-zealous when booking activities while planning a trip. Kevin and I are mostly anti-schedule when it comes to traveling. Except for specific "bucket list" events we are perfectly happy to let the days plan themselves.  

For this trip we reluctantly (but enthusiastically!) booked four walking tours: Garden District/Cemetery, Taste Bud (Courtney booked this one), Ghost and Voodoo.  We made it to three of them, I'd only recommend two, but ONE was my favorite.

Initially, I had misgivings about the Taste Bud Tour. I wasn't sure how my mid-western, "bland" palate would respond, but I'll try anything once. No worries! The food, all of it, was fabulous. Hands down, the Taste Bud Walking Tour was my favorite. We enjoyed all of the tasty New Orleans favorites: Po-Boys --- Beignets --- Jambalaya --- Gumbo --- Muffalettas --- Pralines --- Chickory Coffee --- Grasshoppers (yes, the drink, which by the way was invented in the French Quarter, New Orleans - deliciously refreshing!) 
Grasshopper
Beignets & Chickory Coffee
Jambalaya

Muffalettas
Gumbo
Po-Boy
Pralines

The history and stories behind the foods made them that much better. I love this kind of stuff and could go on and on, but I don't want to "Cliff Clavin" you to death.  (I did however add links that give some background if interested.) The food pictures are stock photos from the internet. Sorry, but I just wanted to eat and enjoy and not worry about taking pictures. The slide show I put together captures random sights of our walking tour and 3 of the 5 food locations. Except for the repeat food pictures, all others I took during our tour.
                                          Don't do New Orleans without signing up for one of the Walking Taste Bud Tours. Strolling through the French Quarter with a proud New Orleanian native, who understandably wants to show off the city and its food, you really can't go wrong!
 
The ghost tour seemed like a good idea when I booked it. Any Google search of "the most haunted places in America" will list New Orleans in the top ten. Many list it at number one. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but since I didn't meet any ghosts I felt disappointed. Really? The tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable - it was not his fault. I have only myself to blame - think expectations next time Diane.
(The Voodoo tour got tacked on last, but was nixed as we were all toured out by Friday.)
Ghost tour - Can you find the real ghost?
                               
 




       







 
                Initially, I was most looking forward to the Garden District/Cemetery Tour. The La Fayette Cemetery No. 1 is nestled in the midst of the Garden District. The tombs were built above ground because most of NO sits below sea level. Many of the tombs are owned by societies or families and for the most part are maintained. Some though have no known owners and the tombs are left to deteriorate, which makes them all the more eerie. The dates on the graves span from the early 1700's to present day. Years ago when someone passed, a strict mourning period of 1 year and 1 day was observed. Once the body was placed in the tomb, it was sealed tight. During the hot summer months the temperature inside the tomb exceeds 300 degrees. After the proper mourning period, the tomb is opened. Due to the intense heat of the previous year, only bones and ashes are left. The remains are pushed to the side or scooped into bags and hung from poles within the tomb. The vaults are home to the remains of generations of families. It truly is a family affair. 



The houses in the Garden District are beautiful...and huge! During our tour I noticed much construction and landscaping activity. There is likely never-ending maintenance required given many of them are over 150 years old. Windows and balconies were clearly essential design elements. Before air-conditioning there were not many options for staying cool. Some of the streets had these odd cement blocks placed near the curb. Turns out they were used by the debutantes to step into carriages to avoid soiling the bottom of their dresses and to not show their ankles (scandalous!). The nearby poles are hitching posts.

The Garden District housed (and still does) some of the cities most wealthy and famous residents. This well kept yellow beauty is home to Archie Manning, former NFL quarterback and father to current NFL quarterbacks, Peyton and Eli Manning.   

This was their childhood home. I was hoping Peyton would be home visiting his parents, and be out and about, but then he goes and wins the Superbowl three days earlier. For years now my eldest son Adam (pictured) has been told he looks like Peyton Manning - so just had to get a picture of him outside his "home".

Speaking of home...eventually it was time to say good-bye to NO. I was ready. It was 7 degrees when our plane landed in Minneapolis Saturday evening. I couldn't of been happier: smooth flight, safe on the ground, a great trip and best yet - sleeping in my own bed. 


Good-Bye New Orleans...til we meet again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment