Thursday, February 4, 2016

Crafting Ain't for Sissies

I love crafting. There are limitless projects that can be done gluing, painting, sewing, etc. I do plenty of those and enjoy it immensely. But sometimes I want to challenge my comfort level and get my hands a little dirty.

While I leave the heavy lifting (Home Depot cuts my boards with their on-site saw) to a professional, I am perfectly fine with operating a Dremel tool, a bottle cutter or drill.

Eventually I will learn how to use a scroll saw, but I haven't worked my way up to that yet. I like my fingers.

Safety-wise, I prefer a drill to a Dremel. Dremels have an on/off switch. If it slips or gets away from you, you better be close to the outlet, because it is going to keep rotating (at 25,000 rpm) until something gets sucked into the attachment or the power is cut. My drill however, is activated by depressing a trigger. If the same thing happens, it shuts down the moment your finger releases the trigger. I try to not use my Dremel when alone...or if a glass of Pinot Grigio is nearby, which might happen once in a while.

With my Dremel I've cut wood, sanded grout and ground glass smooth. I've used my drill to drill holes in cement, glass bottles and bowling balls. I do what I can in my craft room, but some operations have to be completed in the cold garage. I keep my eyes, ears and lungs safe with goggles, ear muffs and respirators. It is not always pretty. Sometimes I feel like "Breaking Bads" Walter White!
 

Cutting bottles is tricky. IF the bottle separates clean the edges still need to be ground down to remove the dangerously sharp edges. There are no shortcuts and it is tedious work. 
  Newly cut wine bottle. Before/after Widow Jane bottle - sharp edges ground smooth and ready for filling.


Step-by-Step Process
Last year I made self-watering herb planters to be used on decks or window sills. On some I covered the sharp edges  rather than use a tool to grind smooth. Everything evolves.
Fresh Herbs!
I also learned (the hard way) to not use my hand to swipe debris off the counter I used to cut the glass. The invisible shards are still present. I've still have one lodged in my finger that the Doc says to just leave as is--it will eventually work its way out. At least I still have my finger. 

Everyone pursues hobbies their own way, whether it be scrap-booking, golfing, photography, etc. There will always be those who think crafters spend their days dawdling away in a warm, comfy spare bedroom, playing with pipe cleaners and listening to Barry Manilow. I won't disagree because it really doesn't matter. There are no rules. It's a hobby after all, and is there really any right or wrong way to pursue a hobby? 
Crafting ain't for sissies!




No comments:

Post a Comment